Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chicken Enchiliada Soup

I've really been enjoying making soup for dinner recently, so I was excited to find this recipe on Deborah's blog. And I was extra excited to see that it used the crock pot - I do love my crock pot! I lessened my work even more by buying a package of Perdue southwestern pre-cooked chicken strips, so all I had to do when I got home from work was toss the chicken into the soup to heat up - no stove top cooking at all! I left out the 2 cups of cheese that the original recipe called for because without it this is a pretty healthy soup! I sprinkled a little cheese on top and it was perfect. (And okay I MAY have served this with cheese quesadillas, but at least the soup is low fat...) I loved this soup! It is incredibly flavorful and hearty and just plain good. I'm looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch today!

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow, green, or red bell pepper
1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 cup shredded Pepperjack cheese (4 ounces)
4 chicken breasts

In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, drained tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. In a large bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Cut chicken into bite sized cubes. Cook over medium heat until cooked all the way through. Add into soup. Can be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle a little cheese on top before serving.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

That looks delicious, I'll have to try that. I love Mexican soup!

Stef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stef said...

This soup looks amazing - my kind of flavors!

I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award :) You can pick it up here: [URL]http://kickinkitch.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-feel-so-flattered.html[/URL]

Unknown said...

Yum....looks great!

Colleen said...

I LOVE this kind of soup - I have never tried it with the soup or milk before - I think it's next on my list now!

Maria said...

Hearty and delicious!! The soup looks wonderful!

JLaNRo said...

This recipe looks great! I just printed it and I'm going to try it this week! Thanks for sharing :)

MakeLifeDelicious.com said...

yummmm is all I have to say about this! I can't wait to make it!!