Sunday, February 17, 2008

Recipe Exchange: Grilled Shrimp with Citrus Dipping Sauce

I love to try out new recipes, especially ones that come recommended by other food lovers, so I was excited to participate in a recipe exchange with the girls on the What's for Dinner board on The Nest. The theme for this exchange was healthy recipes, and I received Grilled Shrimp with Citrus Dipping Sauce. Joe and I both love shrimp so this dish sounded perfect. Unfortunately, neither of us liked it at all. I think it was the strong orange flavor of the sauce that didn't appeal to us. I won't be making this again, but I don't think it was a bad recipe, just not to our tastes. Since my shrimp were small I drizzled the sauce directly over them rather than using it for dipping.

Grilled Shrimp with Citrus Dipping Sauce

1 cup cooked rice
Cooking spray
2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Coat a stove-top grill or griddle with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat to preheat. Season both sides of shrimp with salt and pepper. Place shrimp on hot pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until bright pink and cooked through. Sprinkle shrimp with cilantro.
Meanwhile in a small saucepan whisk together orange juice, lime juice, ginger, cornstarch and garlic. Set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer 2 minutes, until mixture thickens. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce to a serving bowl. Serve 2/3 of the shrimp with the rice and dipping sauce on side.

No comments: