Monday, January 12, 2009

Marble-ous Peanut Butter Dessert

This dessert is frozen chocolate peanut butter perfection! My mother-in-law called this past Saturday to invite Joe and I over for dinner on Sunday and I offered to bring a dessert. I had plans during the day on Sunday, so I was going to need to make whatever it was I decided to make on Saturday. I didn't want to have to go to the store, so I perused my cookbooks to find a dessert that I already had all the ingredients for. It didn't take me long to select this one, from the Best of Pillsbury Bake-Off Desserts cookbook. I'd actually been eyeing this recipe for awhile and I had everything on hand, plus it sounded light and refreshing, which would be a good compliment to the gnocchi my mother-in-law was serving for our meal.

This dessert is super simple to put together. I made only a few changes. I used fat free cool whip in place of the whipping cream and since I was feeling lazy and didn't want to bother melting chocolate I swirled in a few tablespoons of hot fudge sauce.

This was a big hit! Everyone loved it. It's the perfect mix of creamy and crunchy, with just the right amount of peanut butter and hints of chocolate. I think I'll make sure to always have the ingredients on hand for this one!

Marble-ous Peanut Butter Dessert

1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. flour
1 c. (6 oz. pkg.) chocolate chips

FILLING:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. (1/2 pt.) whipping cream, whipped & sweetened

In small mixer bowl, cream brown sugar, peanut butter and butter until light and fluffy. Add flour; blend until crumbly. Sprinkle into ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Set aside half of crumb mixture (about 1 cup) for topping. Lightly press remaining crumb mixture over bottom of pan.Prepare filling. Pour over crumb mixture in pan. Melt chocolate chips; drizzle over filling. Gently cut through to marble.

Sprinkle with reserved crumbs; press in slightly. Freeze at least 2 hours or until serving. Remove from freezer 1 minutes before serving.Filling: In small mixture bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, peanut butter and vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. By hand, fold in whipping cream.

14 comments:

Jaime said...

YUM!!! i LOVE pb and will be bookmarking this one :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oh my! That looks awesome and I feel glad to be able to make this and not have to share with my husband (he's not a pb lover at all!) :)

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm...looks wonderful! I love peanut butter!

Hallie Fae said...

That looks great, peanut butter and chocolate is always a hit!

Colleen said...

Oh my - I need to make this SOON!

Betsy said...

This is sooo bad, but oh so good!

Maria said...

Looks wonderful!! I love the marble!

Katrina said...

Wow, that sure looks and sounds GREAT!

Lindsay said...

I am actually making this right now for a baby shower tomorrow. I am just curious. Do the eggs not get cooked? Just wondring if I missed a step or if its all good to have them not cooked. (I'm new to cooking so dont mind me if its a lame question) Thanks

Brooke said...

Lindsey -

No, the eggs don't get cooked. It's similar to the way you would make ice cream (many ice cream recipes used uncooked eggs as well).

Bec said...

The leftovers did not last very long! This was awesome!

Unknown said...

We have been in doing marble polishing for over twenty years and we offer free estimates.

Unknown said...

Call us today and we can give you a free estimate on your Marble Floor Cleaning West Palm Beach.

Unknown said...

Did you know you have a gem in your home?Terrazzo is very valuable in today’s market and a true work of art when restored.We have been specializing in Restoring Terrazzo for over twenty years.