Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My Favorite Pasta


One Friday afternoon over the summer I was watching an episode of Giada's show and saw her make this pasta. The food on cooking shows always looks amazing, but it's rare that I have the desire to jump right up and make one of the dishes immediately. This pasta, however, inspired me to run to the store the next morning and whip it up for dinner that night. The recipe is so unique and easy - just combine toasted almonds, crushed breadcrumbs and roasted red peppers and toss with olive oil over pasta. Plus, it's delicious! Nice and flavorful and light. It's quickly become my favorite dish, and one of the few things I'll eat as leftovers (I am usually opposed to leftovers for some reason). I usually toss in some cooked chicken sausage too, and this time I used penne since that's what I had available. Definitely try this dish ASAP!

Rigatoni with Red Pepper, Almonds, and Bread Crumbs
1 pound rigatoni pasta
3 cups purchased garlic-flavored croutons, (about 5 ounces)
1/4 cup slivered almonds (about 1 ounce), toasted
1 cup julienned roasted red bell peppers
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl.
Place the croutons and the almonds in a food processor. Pulse until it becomes the texture of bread crumbs. Add the crouton and almond mixture to the hot pasta. Add the peppers and the olive oil. Toss to combine and serve.

No comments: