Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Simple from the Skillet


I came across this recipe months ago in a magazine ad for Campbell's soup. For some reason it appealed to me - most likely because tacos are one of the very few Mexican dishes I will eat, so I'm always looking for variations. I pulled the recipe out tonight when I knew I needed a quick dinner since I would be late at the gym. This recipe certainly is quick - it took under 15 minutes from start to finish. And it was surprisingly tasty! Looking at it as it cooked I thought it looked like it needed something to go with it. I didn't want to wait for rice to boil, so I opted for a much classier side dish - Tostitos. Yum! Both Joe and I really enjoyed this, and I will make it again. The only change I made to the recipe was to add seasoning to the beef as I was afraid it would be too bland without it. I used several shakes each of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and oregano, but a few teaspoons of taco seasoning would work well too.

Beef Taco Skillet

1 lb. ground beef
taco seasoning or seasonings to taste
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular or 25% Less Sodium)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
6 flour tortillas (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Season beef and cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet until well browned, stirring to break up the meat. Pour off any fat.
Stir in the soup, salsa, water, and tortillas. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Stir. Top with the cheese.

No comments: