Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spinach and Salami Pasta

This dish is loosely based on the Broccoli Rabe and Salami Pasta dish, a Rachael Ray recipe, I spotted on A Taste of Home Cooking. Joe loves salami, but neither of us cares for broccoli rabe, so I decided right away I would use spinach instead. Then, the afternoon before I was going to make the dish for dinner, Joe commented that he was really in the mood for pasta and I was afraid he would be disappointed with this dish since it didn't have any real sauce to it. So I improvised and sort of made up my own concoction that incorporated tomato sauce and it was really good! The ricotta made it nice and creamy and the salami gave the whole thing a little kick. Joe loved it and I don't think I would change anything the next time I make it.

Spinach and Salami Pasta

1 jar (24 oz) marinara sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Black pepper to taste
1/3 pound salami, sliced into ribbons (I used Genoa deli salami)
1 1/2 cups 2% ricotta cheese
1 pound penne pasta
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
4 cups baby spinach

Cook pasta according to package directions. As pasta cooks, heat marinara sauce over medium heat until bubbly. Stir in garlic powder, red pepper, black pepper and salami. Cook until salami is heated through, then stir in the ricotta cheese. Drain pasta and toss immediately with the sauce. Add spinach and combine until spinach begins to wilt.

1 comment:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Looks good! I love that you modified the recipe to make it something you guys would enjoy. I'll have to try this since we love spinach and salami. :)