Friday, April 4, 2008

Mexican My Way


I'll admit that I'm not a huge lover of Mexican food - too much spice and grease...just not my style. I do, however, like things like salsa, tortilla chips and cheese, so that part of Mexican food is fine with me. This easy meal was inspired by the above! I made a simple salsa-coated baked chicken and some yummy quesadillas that you toast under the broiler. Both the chicken and quesadilla recipes came from All Recipes, but I modified both slightly. I left the cheese off of the chicken, since I felt like we had plenty in the quesadillas, and I left the salsa out of the quesadillas but added some chopped jalapenos. We topped our meal with some extra salsa and sour cream and it was delicious! And so easy! This will definitely go on the menu rotation!


Salsa Chicken


4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I omitted)
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.

Cheese Quesadillas

4 (6 inch) flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup salsa (I omitted)
2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp diced jalapenos

Place two tortillas on a greased baking sheet. Top each with salsa, cheese and remaining tortillas. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Those quesadillas look good! I love plain ol' cheese quesadillas, but I usually throw in some green peppers, & occasionally some black beans, which not only makes it healthier but also tastier!

I probably make a meal out of quesadillas more often than I should. :)