Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mexican Sour Cream Rice

For dinner tonight I was making a simple pan grilled flounder and wanted a side dish with a little bit of a kick to go along with it. I was leaning towards rice, so I browsed All Recipes and came across this baked rice dish. I used brown rice instead of white and chipotle cheddar instead of Monterey Jack, since I had half a block on hand. I also omitted the cilantro since neither Joe or I care for it. This rice was delicious! Nice and creamy with a little bit of spice - Joe and I both thought it was great. Next time I may add some chicken and make it a meal . The flounder turned out well too - I just seasoned it with black pepper and Old Bay seasoning and grilled it on the stove. It turned out to be a very yummy meal!

Mexican Sour Cream Rice
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
In the pot with the cooked rice, mix the sour cream, green chile peppers, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

The rice sounds really good - and a great accompaniment for fish!

AngiePangie said...

This is the type of rice my husband likes; it looks a mess, but tastes great and has some kick. I'll be adding this to our next Mexican dinner. He's going to be so excited!!

Liz said...

I made this tonight, and it was delicious! Thanks!

Unknown said...

So tasty! I make it all the time now. Thank you so much for the recipe!!!