Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cookies on a whim

I had no intention of baking anything tonight. I planned to hit the gym, eat dinner and lounge on the couch with America's Next Top Model. However, while browsing one of my favorite blogs, Cookie Madness, I came across these cookies and was overcome with the urge to bake them. Immediately. I had all the ingredients at home, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to use up one of the chocolate bunnies I had left over from Easter. I still went to the gym and had dinner, but instead of bonding with ANTM (which was a recap show anyway, hmph) I made these cookies. Joe and I enjoyed them - they were a little crunchier that I prefer (I love my cookies nice and soft) but they were a great treat for a Wednesday evening.

One Bowl Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate Cookies

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour (95 grams)
15 miniature peanut butter cups, frozen and chopped or 3-4 oz milk chocolate (I used a medium-sized solid chocolate rabbit)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and both sugars. You can use an electric mixer, but I used a spoon. Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Beat vigorously and thoroughly to distribute baking soda and salt, scraping sides as you go, then add the egg and beat just until it is mixed in. Add the flour and stir, do not beat, until it is absorbed, then mix in the cups.
Using a small cookie scoop (2 tsp) or a rounded teaspoon, drop dough onto two ungreased cookie sheets, 10-12 cookies to a sheet. Flatten tops slightly. Bake on center rack, one sheet at a time for 12 minutes or until cookies appear set.

Makes 20-24 cookies (Anna clearly shows more restraint than I when sizing her cookies - I only got 11!)


6 comments:

Ally said...

They look Fabulous! So similar to mine last night minus the macadamia's. Still, I'd eat one right now. Care to ship me one? : )

~Amber~ said...

These look excellent!!

Cookie Madness said...

Very interesting. Mine baked up soft with crispy edges and kind of a sandy texture. I wonder what the difference was in how we made the cookies?

Brooke said...

Anna - I used my electric mixer and I think you said you mixed yours by hand. Could that have something to do with it?

Cookie Madness said...

Brooke, I just don't know. I don't think that would be it with peanut butter. It might have been the cookie sheet. I bake my cookies on an insulated cookie sheet and they always seem to rise higher that way. It also might have had something to do with the side. I used rounded teaspoonfuls, but wasn't very generous with the rounding. Usually I am ;).

Robin said...

Yum!!

I am with you with uncontrollable urges to bake, I find I just need to do it or else I get cranky.

And I was disappointed that ANTM was a recap show.