Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of Ju-Fry!

Several years ago Joe and I gave my dad a turkey fryer for Father's Day. I think it may be the best gift I've ever given anyone - my dad has gotten endless enjoyment from it. Each year my parents host several holiday cookouts, one of which is always a turkey fry. This year we fried on the fourth and it was a lot of fun! An 18 lb turkey was on the menu this year. My dad injected it with a Cajun marinade to give it some extra flavor and keep it juicy, then the bird went into the fryer for about 45 minutes. As always, it came out perfect - moist and juicy and soooo tasty! If you've never had fried turkey, you may be surprised to learn that it's not at all greasy - in fact, it hardly soaks up any oil at all. That means you can eat twice as much of it! Along with the turkey we enjoyed corn muffins and some classic picnic sides like tortellini salad, potato salad and deviled eggs. We worked off the food with some quoits - my teammate Jamie and I showed mad skills...even if we lost. Only one year until the next turkey fry - I can't wait!

Into the fryer

And it's done!
Mmmmmm...meat

Rockin' the quoits
Joe and I :)

8 comments:

Amy said...

I love this idea. We only use it at Thanksgiving and Christmas...but Fried Turkey is so good, we've gotta copy you and use it next year on the 4th too!

Ally said...

I absolutely love turkey and the idea of it fried just made my mouth water. Yum!

Jenn said...

You just gave me the idea to get this for my husband for his birthday. Where did you get yours? Thanks!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

It's so nice to see folks enjoying turkey outside of Thanksgiving season! Looks like a great day :)

Brooke said...

Jenn -

I ordered the one for my dad online, but I think it was walmart.com, and I've seen them in Wal-Mart stores too!

~~louise~~ said...

Just stopping by via the Foodie Blogroll.

What a GREAT! idea!

I'm never disappointed when I visit your wonderful posts!

kamaile said...

I love fried turkey. What a great idea for the 4th! :)

Steph said...

YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED
See my blog for the rules!!

http://stephskitchen.blogspot.com/

Stephanie (Beebe)