Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese...

Okay, so technically this dinner does not have beef patties, lettuce or anything else that a Big Mac has, but for some reason that catchy little McDonald's slogan has been running through my head since dinner last night. I am currently preparing to take the GRE, and while I can not recall a single algebra or geometry formula, I have no trouble reciting lines from old fast food commercials on demand. That's a useful skill, right?

Anyway, the above slogan popped into my head after last night's dinner because this chicken definitely has some special sauce. In fact, I was leery about it - would a combination of ranch dressing and teriyaki sauce taste good? The answer? Yes! I found this recipe on one of my new favorite blogs, A Year of Crockpotting. I love using my crockpot so I was thrilled to come across a blog that featured nothing but crockpot recipes. I bookmarked a ton, and this Bacon and Cheese Chicken was the first one I tried. This was really good! The sauce is so unique and tangy and tasty. Joe, my brother-in-law and I all really enjoyed it. I made them both try to guess what was in the sauce but neither could nail it down. But Joe guessed "turkey gravy" so perhaps I played this game with the wrong people ;) Aside from the sauce, this chicken features bacon and cheese, both of which make everything taste good! I served this with some oven roasted potatoes (made by Joe!) and my favorite veggie side dish, Green Giant Steamers snow peas - yum! I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from the Crockpot Lady! I made just a few changes to the original recipe, which are reflected below.

Crockpot Bacon and Cheese Chicken

3-4 chicken breasts
12 pieces cooked and crumbled bacon (I used less)
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup Ranch salad dressing (I used fat free)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Place the chicken in the crockpot. In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce and the ranch dressing. Pour sauce over the top of the chicken. Add the shredded cheese and the crumbled bacon to the crockpot, getting between the chicken pieces,if you can.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What an interesting combo of flavors and if you say it's good, I'm tempted to try it! Thanks for sharing the crockpot link too - looks like there are quite a few recipes I'd like to try myself :)

Stephanie ODea said...

Brooke, I'm so glad that you and your family liked this dinner! we all really liked it, too---and were surprised that such an odd sauce combo would taste so good.

xxo
steph

Patrick said...

the food looks good, but the cookies at the top make me very hungry!

Brooke said...

Pat - I didn't bake those cookies, I stole them off Google images. But if I WANTED to make cookies that good, I totally could ;)