Monday, August 4, 2008

Cajun Grilled Shrimp

I have a confession to make. The whole reason I was so keen on making these shrimp was because I thought the ideal accompaniment for them would be Hawaiian rolls, which I have been dying for an excuse to make again. Seriously, those rolls are heaven. Heaven I tell you. But the shrimp weren't half bad either! I found this recipe on Annie's blog around the same time that frozen shrimp went on sale at the grocery store, so it seemed like I was destined to make them. We even bought skewers especially for this meal. This was the first time we've grilled shrimp and I had Joe a little paranoid about burning them, but they came out cooked just fine. The seasoning was good, although Joe discovered that he doesn't like thyme so I may need to make some modifications next time. But everything just tastes better when it's cooked on the grill and these were perfectly enjoyable! Along with the Hawaiian rolls (drool) I served roasted green beans, which I tossed with cooking spray, salt, pepper and garlic powder and baked in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. This was a nice, light summer meal.

Cajun Grilled Shrimp

1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Thread onto metal skewers. Brush with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix remaining spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture onto shrimp and pat lightly to help it stick.

Grill the skewers, covered, until the shrimp are barely charred and bright pink, about 6 minutes.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks great! Would you like to submit this to the Cajun/Nola blogging event I'm hosting (and maybe win the event's giveaway prize?) Details are in my blog!