Saturday, August 16, 2008

Easiest Ever Paella

Joe is a huge fan of any combination of meats and rice (paella, jambalaya, etc.), so I wasn't surprised when he selected the Easiest Ever Paella from my new Sandra Lee cookbook for dinner tonight. Joe had given me several new cookbooks for my birthday last week, two of which were from Sandra Lee. I somehow failed to realize that this paella recipe came from her slow cooker cookbook, so when I started to make dinner at 5:00 tonight and realized that the recipe called for me to cook everything in my crockpot for 6 hours I had to improvise unless we planned to eat dinner 11:00. No worries, I easily adjusted it for the stove top and it was very delicious. I served it with some roasted asparagus and homemade challah bread and it was a great meal. Maybe next time I'll try it in the crockpot!

Easiest Ever Paella

3 cups chicken broth
2 boxes Spanish rice
3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
3 turkey sausages, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup petite frozen peas

Prepare the rice according to package directions substituting chicken broth for water. While rice cooks, spray a large skillet with cooking spray and begin cooking chicken. When chicken is halfway cooked add diced onions, peas and sausage. Add shrimp during the last few minutes of cooking and cook until just pink. Stir in the cooked rice.

No comments: