Friday, July 25, 2008

A Tale of Two Dinners

As I mentioned in my sweet and sour pork post from earlier this week, the leftovers from that meal can be used for a second dinner - pulled pork sandwiches. I am not really a big pork eater. I won't touch a pork chop, the only time of ham I'll eat needs to be in the form of lunch meat, and whenever possible I use turkey bacon and sausage. But I do love me some pulled pork and this recipe is a good one! And easy. Just take your leftover pork, dump it into a saucepan with a few ingredients, simmer 15 minutes and - presto - dinner! I topped the pork with a little shredded cheese and served Joe's on a toasted onion roll while I enjoyed mine on toasted light English muffin. And we both enjoyed the classic gourmet side dish, tater tots. Mmmm, tots.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

12 ounces leftover cooked pork, shredded
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 kaiser rolls, halved

In a medium saucepan combine pork, chicken broth, vinegar, sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes, until liquid reduces and sauce thickens. Serve pork on halved kaiser rolls.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh - I never thought of adding balsamic to pulled pork! It makes sense and I'm guessing adds some great flavor!