Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cheesy Tomato Chicken Skillet

Joe and I are typically fans of chicken pasta dishes, so this Kraft recipe from Julie's blog caught my eye immediately. It looked delicious and seemed quick and easy. I whipped this up for dinner Friday night and we weren't disappointed with it all! I made a few modifications (reflected below) to the original recipe. I added sliced baby portabella mushrooms for reason other than I like mushrooms and liked the idea of adding another veggie to the dish, and, like Julie, I used a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh. To lighten it up a bit I used skim milk, Healthy Request soup and just a small handful of mozzarella as opposed to a full cup, and I added a variety of seasonings to liven it up. I cooked this in a deep pasta pot rather than a skillet to avoid splatter so mine was a little saucier than I think was intended, but we like a lot of sauce so it was good - all the better to dip breadsticks in ;) Joe and I both really liked this - it's a great hearty and comforting meal in a snap.

Cheesy Tomato Chicken Skillet

2 cups of pasta
3/4 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
1 can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella

Cook the pasta as directed. Heat 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken & cook thoroughly. Reduce heat to medium; stir in soup, tomatoes, milk and seasonings. Stir in cooked pasta. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until bubbly & heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Reduce heat, cover & let stand about 5 minutes.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't always love chicken with tomato-based sauce, but this looks really good!
~bensbaby116

Lauren said...

Yum - looks so good!

Stephanie said...

I just added this to my menu! Looks great =)

Colleen said...

Ooh this looks nice and easy for a weeknight meal - gotta love Kraft!

Julie said...

Good ideas to lighten it up!

Unknown said...

Made this last night, and thought it was okay. For some reason, I was a little distracted by the underlying flavor of the cream of chicken. I think I would have liked it to be more like a cream-sauce - more pure milk based rather than cream of chicken based. Just a personal preference. But it was very quick and easy, for sure!

Stephanie said...

I just made this tonight and added it to my blog- came out great!! Thanks!

lilDdownunder said...

I just made this for dinner tonight, but had to sub cream of mushroom soup and some condensed chicken noodle soup in to it and I thought it turned out fantastic. Perfect food for winter (as it is now here in Australia). I'm posting it and a link to your site on my blog now.