Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fiesta!


I came across this recipe on someone's blog, but I can't remember which one! I've searched through all the blogs I usually visit but can't seem to find it. If this was yours - please let me know! At any rate, it was delicious and easy! I made a lot of changes to the recipe based on ingredients I had on hand, and it turned out great. Plus it makes a ton so there are plenty of leftovers. The original recipe was titled "Spicy Chicken with Cornbread," but since I didn't use chicken I re-titled it "Fiesta Cornbread Casserole." The original recipe is below with my changes in italics.

Fiesta Cornbread Casserole

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces (I used ground turkey)
2 Tbl EVOO
1 package taco seasoning
2 cans black beans drained & rinsed (I only used 1 can)
1 can ro-tel drained (tomatoes with diced chilies) (I used regular diced tomatoes and added some chopped jalapenos)
2 cans Mexican corn drained (I used one small can of regular corn)
1 package corn bread with ingredients to make it
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup red bell pepper (I omitted)

Heat oven to 350 degrees spray 3 quart dish with cooking spray.Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken until the middle is no longer pink. Make cornbread according to instructions, then stir in cheese and bell pepper. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Add black beans, Rotel and corn. Mix together then pour into prepared dish. Pour cornbread over the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden.

2 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I just read about thison Lauren's Kitchen blog. It certainly does sound like a winner! Looks terrific, with both of these rave reviews, Ill have to try. Thank you!!

#1SAHM said...

just wanted to let you know I made this (and blogged about it)and my husband and I LOVED it! Here's the URL: http://laurashomecookin.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/fiesta-cornbread-casserole/