Friday, September 12, 2008

Sensational Side: Parmesan Orzo

I have never made orzo before. Don't ask my why. It just never occurred to me to try it. But recently I feel like I've been stuck in a side dish rut - potatoes, potatoes, potatoes - so I figured I would give orzo a try. I scoured some web sites for a simple recipe that would compliment my pulled chicken sandwiches and found this one for Orzo with Parmesan and Basil on All Recipes. My main reason for choosing it was that it didn't use a lot of butter - I HATE fatty, high calorie side dishes. Even though it only needs 2 tablespoons of butter I still subbed lowfat margarine, and I left out the basil since Joe isn't a fan and stirred in some corn instead. This was fantastic! So creamy and delicious - I could eat this as a meal by itself. I had seconds. And then some spoonfuls from the pot as I was cleaning up the leftovers. And then I ate the little orzos left stuck in the pot after I put away the leftovers. I have no shame when it comes to yummy food.

Parmesan Orzo

2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Melt margarine in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
Stir in chicken stock and corn and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl.

7 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I personally am a rice kind of gal and because orzo looks similar, I like that a lot too! Parmesan orzo is one of our favorite ways to prepare it... but I haven't added corn before. I'll have to try that!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

This looks so yummy! I love orzo, unfortunately my husband is not a fan, but I'm going to try it on him anyway! Maybe with the addition of corn he'll love it!

Dana McCauley said...

Joelen, the nice thing about orzo is that it is lighter than rice. Much less filling.

My son loves orzo with just butter, lemon zest, salt and pepper. It cooks in no time so it's a win all around when I make it.

Stacey said...

I love orzo, especially if it has parm cheese in it. I will have to try this!

Pamela said...

Looks delicious and it looks like some serious comfort food. Perfect for the cooler weather. I just added to my recipe box over at All Recipe. Thanks!

Sara said...

I love orzo, it's good in so many ways.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Just found your blog. Glad I did because everything looks delicious!