Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pumpkin is good for you!

With all the pumpkin recipes floating around this time of year I was dying to whip up some pumpkin treats in my own kitchen. My first instinct was to go right for my favorite pumpkin bread recipe, but I like that bread a little TOO much and knew I would end up eating the entire loaf myself in 2 days flat. In an attempt to keep myself under control but still enjoy my pumpkin I started searching for a healthy recipe to try. I discovered these healthy pumpkin muffins on Elly's blog and knew right away they would be the perfect treat to try. I got started on these right after work on Wednesday and had them baking away in no time. I did not have any buttermilk so I poured 1 cup of skim milk and added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to substitute. I also used pumpkin pie spice instead of cloves and vegetable oil rather than applesauce since I didn't have any. These muffins came out great! Nice and moist with a light spicy pumpkin flavor. I brought them to work to share with my co-workers and they were devoured by lunchtime. These are the perfect guilt-free pumpkin fix!

Healthy Pumpkin Raisin Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves (I used pumpkin pie spice)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ginger
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable/canola oil)
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Sift together flours, baking powder and soda, salt and spices.
In a separate bowl, beat egg with brown sugar until well combined. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, applesauce and pumpkin puree.
Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in nuts and raisins.
Pour mixture into muffin cups and bake approximately 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, these look awesome!

Dana McCauley said...

These muffins look great and do sound healthy. Yet, I'm still tempted to make them and slather one with salted butter before I eat it. I'm obviously my own worst enemy.

Elly said...

So glad you liked the muffins! I think I will be making them next week :)

sara angel said...

how cute! they sound yummy!

Sara said...

This recipe and the muffins look great! I like how you did some modifications to "healthify" them, I always do that too!

Unknown said...

i love pumpkin stuff...it's so moist!

priscilla joy said...

i LOVE pumpkin muffins, and these look delicious. healthy is always a super thing to add to anything!

RecipeGirl said...

We love pumpkin around here, and 'healthy' is a bonus! Will have to give these a shot- thanks :)