Thursday, October 2, 2008

Crockpot Barbecue Beef and Beans...Almost

Sigh. Obviously the above picture is NOT of barbecue beef and beans. And there's a good reason for that. Last night, instead of eating the delicious dinner I simmered all day long in the crockpot we ended up ordering pizza. Why? Because I lovingly cooked my beautiful 3 lb chuck roast for 12 hours in the crockpot with the plastic packaging still attached to the bottom of the meat. So while the dinner looked delicious and smelled delicious it had strings of melted plastic running through it. My brother-in-law John wanted to eat it anyway, but I figured all those plasticy chemicals could not be healthy and tossed the whole dinner :( I had planned to shred up the meat and bake the mixture into calzones, but with that plan out the window I decided to brown up some ground beef and onions, add barbecue sauce and corn and bake THAT mixture into some calzones. But then I opened my refrigerated pizza dough only to find that it was all torn and would not allow me to roll it out no matter how hard I tried. Tired and frustrated I tossed the dough into the trash with my ruined crockpot meal and told Joe and John to order a pizza. Oh well. So my apologies to Stephanie at A Year of Crockpoting for destroying your recipe. I do plan to try it again - with uncompromised meat.

Crockpot Barbecue Beef and Beans

3 pound chuck roast
1 yellow onion, sliced in rings
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 can (16.5 oz) barbecue baked beans
1/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
cheese, optional
jalapeno slices, optional

Place meat in crockpot (AFTER removing all packaging) and add in onions and garlic. Add the beans and barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-12 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork. Serve on rolls, buns, rice cakes, or over rice (or if you try to make calzones with it, let me know how they are!). Add slices of your favorite cheese and sliced jalapenos.

8 comments:

Cate said...

I'm so sorry about the plasticated dinner. I've definitely done things like that before and it's so irritating!

Dana McCauley said...

What a shame! If it makes you feel better, I bet a lot of people have made similar mistakes.

Tricia said...

Oh geez that sucks! Disasters like that are enough to make me give up cooking for a month. Hope the pizza was good! And I hope the next time you try it, it turns out amazing :)

MrsSchoon said...

Aw bummer. Well it sounds good at least!

Deborah said...

How sad! I hate it when things like this happen. I'm sure it will be perfect next time!

Katrina said...

What a huge bummer! When life hands you ruined roast, buy pizza, I always say! I hear your frustration. You're not alone!

Amber said...

Oh man that's awful! But you are not alone, I have done that before. Thank goodenss for the pizza man!

Colleen said...

Oh no! I hate when something like that happens! The recipe sounds delicious though and at least it makes a good story!