Monday, October 13, 2008

Hooray! Creamy Mac and Cheese

Thank you, Cate! You've finally helped me overcome one of my culinary challenges - my inability to make creamy macaroni and cheese. I've tried before, more than once, but my macaroni and cheese was always lacking that creamy gooeyness that I love. So when I saw this recipe on Cate's blog I decided to give it one more try and - success! Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that this mac and cheese is made on the stove and not baked, or maybe it's just the simplicity of the ingredients, but this came out perfect! Like Cate I used a full-fat cheese (white cheddar, to be exact) and I used 3/4 cup of skim milk and 1/4 cup fat free half and half. I also used whole wheat elbow macaroni (I didn't know that elbow macaroni came in whole wheat. It's practically health food now!). Have I mentioned that this was good? Just look at that creamy sauce! I served this alongside my favorite teriyaki turkey burgers and some roasted green beans and it made for a delicious dinner.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

1 1/4 cups uncooked macaroni
1 cup 1% milk
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
a few grinds of a pepper mill

Cook pasta in a medium saucepan according to package directions.
Transfer to a colander.
In the same saucepan, combine the milk and flour over medium heat, stirring with a whisk.
Cook, stirring constantly until thickened (about 2 minutes).
Add cheese, salt, and pepper, and continue whisking until all the cheese is melted.
Turn off heat, stir in the pasta, and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Cate said...

I need to look for whole wheat macaroni now! I'm glad you finally got the macaroni you always wanted :)