Monday, October 27, 2008

Sunday Dinner: Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy

Yesterday I was in mood to make a hearty, Fall-like, classic Sunday dinner so I decided on pot roast. Even better, this meal allowed me to use my crockpot so the work was minimal. I invited the in-laws over to share the feast, then tossed everything together and let the crockpot do it's thing. I used the recipe for Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy from Sandra Lee's Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook and it was fantastic! Dinner was a hit - everyone raved about it and helped themselves to seconds (and thirds, in some cases). The nice variety of vegetables and rich mushroom gravy made this a standout. Served with a yummy Fall salad full of cranberries, candied walnuts and apples and some fresh bread it was the perfect Sunday meal with the family.

Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy

1 lb red potatoes, cut into wedges (I used more)
8 ounces baby carrots
1 package (8 ounces) presliced fresh mushrooms
1 onion, cut into 1-inch wedges through core
2 ribs celery, sliced
3 lb beef chuck roast
1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
1 can (10 ounces) mushroom gravy
1 packet (1.5 ounces) slow cooker beef stew seasoning mix

In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onion and celery. Place roast on top of vegetables. In a medium bowl, stir together beef broth, gravy and beef stew seasoning mix. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.


1 comment:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

MMM! Pot Roast is one of mine and my husbands favorite meals-and yet I've never made it!-his mom makes it alot- Yours looks delish! This is a perfect comfort food meal.