Monday, September 15, 2008

Tomato Basil Bread

Fresh bread seemed like the perfect accompaniment to last night's Bruschetta Chicken Bake. I have several favorite bread recipes but I was in the mood to try something different so I was glad I remembered the Tomato Basil Bread I saw on Amanda's blog. I had never heard of putting tomato sauce into bread before so I was eager to try it. I had an open jar of Prego in the fridge so I used that (and thanks to my brother-in-law John for pointing out that my jar was 1 lb AND 10 ounces and not 10 ounces total before I dumped the whole thing into the bread machine - that would have been one soupy bread). This bread smelled amazing while it baked and came out such a unique and pretty light red color. And it was delicious! It just had that little extra kick of flavor that made it interesting. I served it with Italian-seasoned olive oil and it was devoured. It's the perfect match for chicken and would be great with an olive-oil tossed pasta. Yum!

Tomato Basil Bread

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/4 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram1
teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color (I used light) and loaf size according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). (I did not need to add any additional water of flour.)

4 comments:

sh.D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sh.D said...

omg. i so need a bread maker.

The City Sage said...

What an unusual recipe---and such a unique alternative to the standard garlic bread that I always serve with Italian recipes! You're right about the color---so pretty and adds an interesting touch to an already yummy-looking bread!

I'll bet this would also be divine fresh from the oven and served alongside minestrone soup on a rainy autumn day!

Dana McCauley said...

Nice looking texture! I bet this bread would have been even better with fresh basil and a few chopped sundried tomatoes added to the dry ingredients.