Friday, September 5, 2008

Summer Send Off

September is here, but I thought I'd squeeze in one more summery treat before I switched over to pumpkin bread and apple crisps. Pineapple is by far my favorite fruit, so I was thrilled when I came across this recipe for Pineapple-Brown Sugar Frozen Yogurt on the Cooking Light website. I had made a few batches of delicious ice cream recently but was looking to try a recipe that wasn't so high in fat and calories and this one fit the bill. It was extremely easy to make, even though I didn't take into account the quantity of the recipe and ended up with sticky yogurt spilling out my ice cream maker. This recipe was worth the extra cleanup though. It's perfectly creamy and tangy and sweet and full of yummy pineapple flavor. Before you pull out your favorite fall recipes, I suggest you give summer one last hurrah with this frozen yogurt!

Pineapple-Brown Sugar Frozen Yogurt

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 (15 1/4-ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
4 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine the sugar and pineapple in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and cook until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Chill.
Combine pineapple mixture, yogurt, and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon yogurt into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.

5 comments:

Dana McCauley said...

Sounds quite sweet - but, then again, when have I ever complained about a dessert being sweet?!

Brooke said...

You know, it's actually NOT overly sweet, suprisingly. It has a very strong pineapple flavor more than anything else.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Sounds delicious! I'm getting into pineapple these days. I love that you put a little umbrella in the yogurt! :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Just like you, pineapple is one of my favorite fruits! I love the flavor combo with brown sugar... so creative!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Just found your blog. I am a fellow Nj foodie. This looks delicious.