Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Drop Biscuits


I love bread. Who doesn't, really? And I feel that any sort of pasta dish requires some nice warm bread or rolls to go along with it. I originally planned to just buy some frozen rolls to go along with tonight's dinner but started feeling ambitious and thought it would be better to try to make some from scratch. I wanted an easy and quick recipe, preferably one that didn't require yeast. I came across this recipe for Drop Biscuits on the Cooking Light website and it was perfect. These were extremely easy to make (baking them in muffin tins rather than on a sheet is great!) and the biscuits came out soft and dense. I added garlic powder to my dough before baking to give these a little kick, but I think I might leave that out next time, as they seem like they'd be delicious without. I made mine larger than recommended and wound up with 8 biscuits.

Drop Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chilled butter or stick margerine, cut into small pieces
1 cup fat-free milk
Cooking spray

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 450ยบ.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk; stir just until moist.
Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from pan immediately, and place on a wire rack.
Yield
1 dozen (serving size: 1 biscuit)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 119(31% from fat); FAT 4.1g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.9g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 97mg; SODIUM 270mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 17.6g

No comments: