Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Semi-Homemade Steak


Sure, Sandra Lee has her flaws. She creates ridiculously complicated and silly "tablescapes" and feels the need to decorate her kitchen to match her meal. And some of her recipes barely qualify as "cooking" and are certainly not gourmet. Yet I own two of her cookbooks and make several of her recipes on a regular basis. Sometimes you just need a quick recipe that doesn't require too much work. And besides, I am a fan of quick and easy. This steak is one of our favorite simple recipes. Since I am not a big fan of red meat, poor Joe rarely gets to enjoy beef or steak as I don't usually make it. However, these pinwheels are an exception because the steak is nice and thin, making it more acceptable to me. The original recipe can be found here, along with the suggested side dish of Rosemary Mashed Potatoes. I've simplified the recipe even more based on our tastes, and my version is below. I served my pinwheels last night with roasted red potatoes and corn.


Steak Pinwheels

2 pieces round steak, center cut
1 package stuffing mix, prepared according to package directions
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Lay steak flat on clean work surface and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover steak evenly with stuffing. Roll up steak lengthwise to create a pinwheel effect, enclosing stuffing completely. Skewer seam with toothpicks. Place the steak roll, seam side down, on a foil-covered cookie sheet (I use a glass baking dish - my cookie sheets do not have edges, and when I used them previously the steak juices leaked off the tray and into my oven, making a big, smokey mess). Sprinkle roll with salt and pepper. Roast until steak is golden brown and cooked through, about 40 minutes.

No comments: