Thursday, September 6, 2007

This is what an angel must taste like...

Excuse my title, its an obscure reference to my favorite comic strip, Get Fuzzy. In that particular installment, Satchel the dog makes the above comment after tasting a Fig Newton for the first time. Unfortunately, my Crockpot Angel Chicken from last night didn't taste quite as heavenly as Satchel's Newton. The dish was certainly easy and wasn't bad, it just wasn't spectacular. I found the taste of the cream of mushroom soup to be overpowering to the rest of the ingredients. I don't think I'll make this again, since I have an arsenal of much better crockpot recipes, but I've certainly had worse dinners.

I beleive the original Angel Chicken recipe is from All Recipes, but I used a version modified for the crockpot that I found on Bake Space. I served the chicken over whole wheat angel hair pasta with a side of steamed snow peas.

Crockpot Angel Chicken

6 boneless chicken breasts (I used 4)
1/2 cup butter
1 pkg dry italian salad dressing mix
1 can golden mushroom soup (I used Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup)
1/2 cup white wine or 1/2 c. chicken broth
4 oz. onion & chive cream cheese
1 pkg angel hair pasta, cooked according to box directions

Place chicken in crock pot. In sauce pan melt butter. Stir in italian salad dressing mix, soup, cream cheese & wine. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 4-5 hours (mine cooked on low for about 8 hours and plenty moist and saucy). Pour over cooked pasta.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Okay, you're too hard on this dinner. I actually liked it a lot. The chicken by itself was nothing special but when mixed with the pasta, it was very good. I really liked that sauce, too.

Elizabeth said...

I like this recipe so much better when made with cream of chicken instead of cream of mushroom. I agree that the cream of mushroom is overpowering, I think cream of chicken compliments it nicely. :)

Stephanie said...

I made this last night! Thanks for another great recipe. I adapted it for the stove top though because my crockpot is nuts haha!