Saturday, June 21, 2008

Cookie Carnival: Snickerdoodles

I was both disappointed and excited to learn that snickerdoodles were the first cookie I'd be making for the Cookie Carnival blogging event. Disappointed because I've made snickerdoodles many times in the past and was hoping for a chance to try something new, and excited because the only time I ever really make snickerdoodles is Christmas, so it gave me a chance to make these yummy cookies even though it's summer. I followed the recipe exactly because I didn't have much time to experiment and they came out great. Nice and chewy with the perfect mix of sugar and spice from the cinnamon. I bagged them up and plan to sell them at a fundraiser my pet rescue group is holding tomorrow. And I can't wait to continue to try new recipes through Cookie Carnival!
Snickerdoodles
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup pure vegetable shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, plus more if needed
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, with one rack in top third and one rack in bottom third of oven. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter, shortening, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients, and beat to combine.
In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the ground cinnamon. Use a small (1 1/4-ounce) ice-cream scoop to form balls of the dough, and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack (they will not brown), about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after 5 minutes. Transfer the sheets to a wire rack to cool about 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to the rack. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.

6 comments:

kate said...

i'm so glad you played along--they look great!

Pamela said...

Hi! I love the blog name and I am in total agreement with you. Cookies are my absolute favorite kind of treat. I just joined Cookie Carnival, too and I am planning on getting the SnickerDoodles made up today. I'm off to check out your entire blog now! :)

ShellyH said...

I love snickerdoodle cookies! Have you tried making snickerdoodle bars yet? They are super easy and very yummy and from start to finish you are done within 45 minutes.

Megan said...

I would buy a bag to help out pets. Great cookie for a great cause. :)

Cat said...

How nice of you to support those cute little critters!

iTink said...

This is my fisrt Carnival too.
Hope your cookies sell up a storm!
I love your blog.