Sunday, June 8, 2008

Very Berry Muffins

It occurred to me not long ago as I was browsing other cooking blogs that lots of women make nice breakfasts for themselves and their husbands on weekends. I for one never make breakfast. Ever. I'm usually at the gym on weekend mornings, and I prefer to eat lightly during the day, so breakfast has never been my meal. This Sunday however I decided to take the day off from the gym and seize the opportunity to make breakfast. It is SO hot here this weekend that I knew I wouldn't be making anything big or heavy so when I saw these muffins on Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings I knew they would be perfect. All I changed was the name - my bag of frozen berries had blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. That makes four berries, so I'm titling them simply "Very Berry Muffins." I discovered that strawberries do not mash well, so I ended up chopping them into little pieces. These muffins were delicious. Nice and sweet and perfect warm with a dab of butter. My only complaint was seeds - the seeds from the berries got stuck in my teeth. But that didn't make me stop eating them, and DH had no complaints at all - he had three. I'm deeming my foray into the breakfast world a success.

I should also mention that this will forever be known as the recipe that blew the microwave. When I turned on the microwave to melt the butter I was met with sparks and crackles and almost-fire. So long, microwave. Not sure what happened (and I know is wasn't the fault of the muffins) but Joe is out buying a new one as I type.

Very Berry Muffins

4 tbsp butter (melted and cooled)
1 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar(plus additional for sprinkling)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (thawed and divided)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup berries and milk and mash well. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar; add egg and beat well. Gradually mix in dry ingredients by hand. Mix in berry/milk mixture, followed by remaining berries and mix until just combined.
Using two spoons pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each chamber 3/4 full. Sprinkle top of muffins with sugar. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I got nine standard size muffins.

3 comments:

Liz said...

They look yummy, and I have all of the ingredients on hand! I might have to make these soon. Thanks!

Linds said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that these blew your microwave! Sparks (and seeds aside) I am glad you liked the recipe though, thanks for trying! :)

~Amber~ said...

These look wonderful!