Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mexican Lasagna

While I'm not a huge fan of Mexican food, I do like tacos that I can make at home where I control the ingredients and the heat (spicy is not my thing). Joe and I usually have tacos at least once a month, and I often try to mix it up and try the components of tacos in various ways. I basically just winged this "Mexican lasagna" last night and it came out very tasty. I kept it healthy and used all low-fat/low-calorie ingredients (except for the cheese - Joe and I have learned that there's nothing like real, full-fat cheese), which was good since I had found myself unable to stop eating it. I was still nibbling it out of the pan as I was cleaning up. Measurements below are estimated - I just sort of tossed things together by sight. You really can't mess this up, and you can add pretty much anything you like. Next time I'll probably top it with a dollop of sour cream.

Mexican Lasagna

1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
3 low-fat Flatout wraps
1 jar salsa
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350. Brown ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain fat and add taco seasoning, finish cooking meat according to seasoning packet instructions. Stir in corn and black beans, heat through. Spray a small square baking dish with cooking spray. Tear Flatout wraps into strips and layer on bottom of baking dish. Top wraps with a layer of the meat mixture, half the jar of salsa and half the cheese. Repeat layers once, ending with cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until cooked through and bubbly.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Oooh, looks so good!!

Bridget said...

Great idea using those Flat Out wraps for the "noodles." I would never have thought of that. Thanks for the recipe!

~~louise~~ said...

Verrrry Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.